Game 5 - Baldur 2 vs Hayley 2 (steamroller)

Game 2 for the steam roller was none other than Justin with his cygnar. I always seem to play him in round 1 or 2 of all our local steamrollers.
Justin this time was playing Hayley 2/Caine 2. He had made a few changes to his Hayley list but nothing that really affected my list. Pictures will be getting a little sparse as I focus on the game and forget to take them.

Game 5 - Baldur 2 vs Haley 2 (rematch lol)

I decided to drop baldur 2 because I didn't think I could out shoot cygnar with kaya 3 and he dropped Haley 2.


I won the roll and spent alot of time trying to decide to go first or pick sides. I ended up deciding that the advantage of going first out ways my choice of sides due to the fact that I couldn't figure out which was better.

Scenario is Take and Hold.

I deploy right behind my flag with the wrath placed to move up the center of the table. My goal here was to try and take my flag and camp it forcing Justin to come into me instead of running into his guns.

Justin deploys pretty much in the middle with Haley on the far left by the flag and a forest to hide in.

Circle turn 1

Run.. again. Wrath forms a wall with the sentry stones. Picked up a trick this time that worked well. Baldur walked into the stones and put roots on wrath and the sentry stones but was later ported forward by the stones so he could make it to the flag by turn 2.


Cygnar turn 1

Justin advanced cautiously. Trying to stay out of my melee threat ranges. Storm wall spikes a shot into woldwrath doing a good chunk of damage. Kills a Mannikin or two..

Circle turn 2

I move my "wall" forward to create a Bunker for baldur to sit on the flag. Woldwrath takes a shot at the hunter in the forest and misses scattering his shot directly onto the flag. Not bad I guess he takes a pow 10 if he wants Haley there. Baldur puts up roots on woldwrath and a wall in front of him to try and block stormwall from charging in. Baldur camps 2 because I am afraid of missing something and being shot down.

Cygnar turn 2

Justin's goal this time is to kill off a sentry stone and create a space for stormwall to charge in to woldwrath. He moves his avenger up but leaves the sentry stone with 2 boxes. He really needed to kill it. Justin spends alot of time measuring and trying to figure out how to get stormwall in there. He runs Thorne up and decides to use Haley to arcane bolt the sentry. Unfortunately Thorne was out of control range at that point. Oops. Haley feats and is able to get most of my army. The avenger is contesting my flag.

Circle turn 3

Ugh this feat still sucks. My stuff durdles around blocking charge lanes and line of sight. Baldur heals the woldwrath some and the wall was upkept. I decide it's best to block the right side to force the stormwall away from my army and away from my flag if he wants to charge woldwrath.  Baldur feats this turn. I feel counter feating Haley 2 is the best option. I can can cast roots on all the major targets each turn so the feat just covers everyone allowing my fury to be spent elsewhere.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to score yet because the avenger is still contesting.
Shifting stones ported up the Guardian to engage thorne and the avenger.

I beleive in this turn as well my far right woldwryd was out of feat range and was able to move up boost a shot into Jakes and kill her making the avenger intert.
Score is still 0-0

Cygnar turn 3

Haley gets on her flag and is shielded by the hunter and sentinel. Stormwall charges the left side of woldwrath and does damage but no aspects are crippled. Ironclad beats on megalith and fails to cripple anything. Strangeways reactivates the avenger and Thorne tries to hit the Guardian, failing to do anything.

Cygnar goes to 1


Circle turn 4

Every 2 turns I baldur removed his debt tokens to survive the grind. Throughout this game I continually forgot to heal my stuff when it was allowed to heal. Apparently I need to work on that.
Woldwrath punches stormwall, taking outnhis left arm. A wyrd moves into shoot him because he has arcane shield up but basically does nothing. The arcane shield only.gives the wyrd better accuracy against it and a chance for 4d6 spikes. No spikes were rolled. Guardian knocks down the iron clad, avenger, and thorne. The wyrd finishes off thorne. Megalith charges the sentinel and puts it down with 2 fury to spare. Time is getting short on both sides at this point and quick thinking I decide to cast my animus to try and slow Haley down but I should have put up roots on himself instead.  Baldur roots woldwrath and a wall in front of himself for fear of the iron clad coming in.

Score is still 2-0 cygnar

Cygnar turn 4

Hayley tks megalith into range of stormwall. Ironclad fails to do much to the guardian. The avenger also is unable to do anything to him without focus.

Stormwall rotates to punch megalith to death.

Cygnar goes to 3.
(I may be off a turn with the points. I don't remember him going to 3 but is doesn't matter in the long run...)

Circle turn 5

I am very low on time and am pretty sure I'm going to loose so I decide to get as many points as possible. Woldwrath pounds on the stormwall, at dice off 3 it's taking awhile... but I am rolling slightly above average. I go to activate my wyrd and Justin comments on my back strike bonus.. thanks just I'm not engaged I move to his left and decide to shoot Haley instead who is camping a couple focus but has the no knockdown upkeep up. Unfortunately I'd been running my wolds hot and camping with baldur so I was only able to remove 1 fury from my woldwyrd because I wanted to pull all from the wrath. I boost to hit and connect, roll to hit needing 10's. Purgation on my woldwyrd means additional dice. Hit the first and boost. Miss the second two shots... ugh..
The Guardian knocks down the avenger and ironclad again(also full of fury). My right woldwryd moves and takes a free strike from strangeways which does nothing and is barely able to make it into range. This wold is already at max fury... I hit the first leaving Haley on 1 and miss the second 2 shots again!! OMG the salt is real. I try to spray her with black clads but am unable to hit.


Cygnar turn 5

Very short on time Haley moves more than 3 inches into the forest and is barely outside of kill box.  He kills a blackclad and repositions some stuff then passes turn. 

Circle turn 6

I have just seconds left on my clock and realize I cannot get to Haley or gain points with the iron clad and avenger still contesting... I kill off stormwall and anything else I can and then concede with 20ish seconds left.


So close. .. I think Justin had 40 seconds left on his clock. 

While talking after the game I remember wold guardian has beat back and could have been pushing the jacks off my flag so I could score. I also could have used my stones to port baldur up for a last ditch crevasse into haley... or if I had used woldwrath last he could of shot at Haley as well.
It was a great game and like before I always learn alot playing Justin.  Next time I'll be sure to come out on top.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game 25 - Bradigus vs. Thagrosh 1 (SR)

Game 19 - The Wanderer vs. Wurmwood

Game 23 - Bradigus vs. Old Witch 2