Game 9 - Baldur 2 vs Lord Carver (steamroller)

Round 3 there were 4 of us left that were 2-0. It was danny, john, Matt, and myself. John and Danny were paired and that left Matt and I.

Game 9 - Baldur 2 vs Lord Carver

Matt was one listing the even and this was his list:

War Room Army

Minions - Matt - farrow

Theme: The Thornfall Alliance
3 / 3 Free Cards     75 / 75 Army

Lord Carver, BMMD, Esq. III - WB: +28
-    Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
-    Battle Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
-    Razor Boar - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
-    Razor Boar
-    Road Hog - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)

Meat Thresher - PC: 19

Efaarit Scouts - PC: 0
Efaarit Scouts - PC: 0

Farrow Bone Grinders - Leader & 5 Grunts: 8
Farrow Brigands - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
-    Farrow Brigand Warlord - PC: 4
Farrow Commandos - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
Farrow Razorback Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 0
Farrow Razorback Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 5

THEME: The Thornfall Alliance

I spent some time trying to decide what list to drop. If I went with baldur again I would be list locked into krueger for the finals but knowing it's going to be menoth or ret I was comfortable with that. No offense to Danny but i thought John was going to win with his menoth and I was going to have to play krueger into him anyway.  He was running kreoss 3 which would do a number on baldur.
With that in mind I drop baldur. I've never played into Carver and his pigs and I felt more comfortable with baldur.

Scenario was Take and hold. There was a large house right in the middle of the table splitting the two flags... this was definently going to be interesting.

I won the roll again and chose to go first. I guess exhaustion was hitting me at this point and I messed up my deployment. One of the perks of the theme is +2" to deployment meaning I get to deploy of 9 and 15 when going first. Some how I managed to deploy on 7 and 15... I learned the hard way how much of a difference that is for baldur. There was a wall slightly to the left and my woldwrath would have to shorten his turn 1 Run to land behind it and then have to run turn 2 to move past it.. sounded like a bad plan. He deployed central/right directly behind the house. The rest of my Battlegroup deployed to his right and I was set up to move toward my flag.

Matt deployed opposite of me and it looked like we would be fighting on half of a battlefield because of the house.

Circle turn 1

Everything runs. This took longer than needed because I was trying to figure out how to navigate the terrain.  Even baldur had to run to try and make up the lost 2 inches of deployment.

Minions turn 1

The two weapons crew.take the hill and start shooting at me. They don't do much damage wise turn 1 but they do have brutal damage so I will need to watch out for them. Everything else moves up with his meat thresher leading the way. Carver hides behind the house.

Circle turn 2

I move up again trying to get baldur to the flag to start scoring but am unable to set up a decent Bunker so he is forced to hold back from the flag. I spend alot of time again trying to figure out how to move woldwrath into a decent position. I block myself in with stones and wrath moves up behind the house and takes a shot at some random bone grinders. Mannikins try and put damage on the Razorback Crew, killing one model. Because i am forced so close to the table edge I am worried about his ambushing Commandos. Megs hangs back to try and block charge lanes to baldur and basically does nothing the whole game except get shot at by some Efaarit Scouts and the Razorback crews. Baldur feats this turn and after eating alot of clock and positioning slightly closer I end my turn.

At this point I basically felt like I lost the game that turn. I positioned poorly and just ate up my clock.

Minions turn 2

Matt decides to come in with the meat thresher after shooting down Mannikins with Carver to make charge lanes. Unfortunately for him he is only able to kill off a sentry stone I beleive. He takes some more shots at megalith and continues moving the rest of his army up behind the battle engine to counter punch me when I go in on it. This table really forced us to bottle neck our troops and made for an "interesting" game.

Circle turn 3

The wold guardian charges the thresher crossing the front of it to be out of the way for woldwrath to come in if he fails to kill. The Guardian ends up killing his battle engine. At this point I have to run woldwrath up along side the wold guardian and out in front of my army ready to be charged by his entire army.  It is the only way he  can get past the flag and become relevant to the game.
Everybody else sorta shuffles about and take pot shots at random models not really doing anything. Megalith continues to try and guard the right side from incoming commandos. Baldur activates and moves up next to the flag and puts roots on woldwrath and a wall in front to try and block charges. He camps 2 and ends turn.

I go to 1 point.

Minions turn 3

Feat turn for Carver. Carvers feat is boosted melee damage rolls for his battle group. So a Razorback is primaled and his road hog is primaled as well. He take some shots at woldwrath with Scouts and Razorback Crew doing minimal damage. Then the road hog charges in and puts fear in my heart. The road hog does a ton of damage to woldwrath. Leaving him with maybe 1/3 of total health. If he had another heavy I would of lost him for sure. The Brigands use hog wild which allows them to shoot then charge and they do that but don't do any damage and just clog up the area between my army and Carver.  The Razorback charges into the Guardian and does minimal damage but is able to contest my flag.

Circle turn 4

At this point I'm low on time. I think I had about 10 min left and am trying to figure what I can do to win. I have the scenario pressure going but his flag is wide open and Carver can easily make a move for it. Baldur is inside the stones and a teleport from them can put him in melee range of carver. So that is my ultimate goal at this point.

Woldwrath takes a shot at the field of Brigands and kills off a few. Then I take everything that has a gun and starts shooting off Brigands trying to create a charge lane so my guardian can get to carver. It basically comes down to a last wold shooting the last brigand (whom is engaged with the guardian) and pulls it off. I purposefully left one Brigand alive next to Carver so that the Guardian had a charge target. Carver was hiding behind the house.
The Guardian charges and kills the Brigand and then starts pounding on carver. His attacks have auto knockdown. He leaves Carver alive. Stones port baldur up and he has 2 debt tokens increasing his strength by 2. Baldur kills carver.

That game was intense. Even tho it may not sound like it when you read it. The amount time I spent trying to navigate the terrain was too much. I really thought I had lost that game.

Matt told me after that he should have moved Carver back but he really thought the Brigand tarpit would of stopped any assassinations.

Tough game.
One thing I forgot to note was the lone bone grinder that was able to charge woldwrath. That is something to watch out for. They have dismember and under carvers feat he was rolling 4 dice on the charge! Ouch.

Well on to game 4!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game 25 - Bradigus vs. Thagrosh 1 (SR)

Game 19 - The Wanderer vs. Wurmwood

Game 23 - Bradigus vs. Old Witch 2