Game 17 - Una 2 vs. Kaya 3

Round two of the month long steamroller.

This round i was paired against the other circle player in the event. He was running Kaya 3 in Call of the Wild and Wurmwood in The Wild Hunt theme.

The scenario for this week was the Pit 2.

I decided to drop Una 2 because Krueger with all the guns was not going to be effective into either list. Wurmwood obviously is great into guns and his Kaya list was sporting too much stealth which I had no way to ignore outside of a few sprays.

He decided to drop Kaya 3 because he figured I was going Una 2 which would largely ignore his feat.
We had a third party set up terrain on our table. He knew we both basically ignore forests so he decided to fill the table with obstructions and clouds. Sure made for an interesting game.

Kaya won the the roll (+1 to go first and stuff). He decided to take the side of the table that would allow Kaya to hide behind a cloud wall and hopefully not die to assassination. I was happy about this because I really wanted first turn to jam up the table as had as possible.

His Kaya list was:

Kaya 3 - Call of the Wild
- Scarsfell x6
- Stalker x2
- Gorax
- Argus
- Wilder
Blackclad wayfarer x2
Shifting stones
Bellows crew

Again for easy reference mine was:

Una 2 - Devours Host
- Scarsfell x5
- Gorax
Bloodtrackers
Ravagers w/ cheiftain
Nightwitch x2
Gallows grove
Lanyssa
Bellows Crew
Tharn Shaman

  With the way the table was set up my plan was to try and jam him into one corner of the table and use my trackers to contest the left square zone, while controlling the right. Then hopefully able to clear the circular zone and win on scenario.


Deployment
           Turn 1 - Una

Una activates first, mirage on the ravagers and hand of fate on the trackers. She charges forward. Trackers run deep into the left zone. Ravagers run up the middle into the circle zone. Everything else fills in around and behind the ravagers. Prey (which i always seem to forget to select) goes on the Argus. I really didnt have any good options. His army is fast enough that wherever I put it he would just move that model to the opposite side.

           Turn 1 - Kaya

Because of my speed my opponent takes a bit of time to plan out his advance. Basically his battle group all moves up with the griffons walking, casting evasive, then repo'ing forward. He uses the high def griffons to screen his army. Kaya hides behind the cloud and puts up synergy. He decides to hold his feat. He thought griffons with dodge up would be able to avoid most of the damage from my infantry. Plus saving it would ensure I didn't just jam up his army out of the zones the following turn.


End of Turn 1
           Turn 2 - Una

IF he had feated turn one my plan was to try and jam him up with trackers, deathwolves, and ravagers. Allowing my griffons to hover around and move into prime position to clean up or kill kaya.
Because he didn't i decided to charge in and try and alpha him hard enough to get ahead on attrition.
Hand of fated trackers rolled hot and only missed a couple attacks needing 7's and 9's to hit(aiming). This was tricky because as soon as I missed an attack they could dodge into engage or dodge out of range with stealth protecting them. I managed to kill 2 griffons and damage the 3rd. This left the trackers a little to clumped up for my liking and staring down a stalker, but i needed to aim in order to get some hits.
Tuna activates next and moves HOF to the ravagers, and moves up careful to stay out of threat of the stalkers and griffons. Ravagers charge the remaining 3 griffons and I'm able to do the same. I kill off 2 and damage a 3rd.
The griffons move into counter charge position behind the line of engagement and one moves into the left zone.
The rest of my army fills in the gap between the line of engagement and Una trying to block any landing zones for Kaya's army when she feats next turn. Gobbers creat a LOS blocking cloud to Una.



    
        Turn 2 - Kaya

He spends alot of time in the think tank here. Too much time.
He needs to clear out his lines and move to contest all the zones so I don't score too much.
Kaya activates first and feats. She smacks a bloodtracker to start the synergy train.
Gorax punches down a ravager. Then a stalker and griffon kill 4 more leaving 1 alive. 
In the left zone his Griffon kills 3 trackers and opens a lane for the stalker to charge in and put down one of my griffons. Whom I realized I had put it the zone not thinking about his objective contesting.. 
Kaya gets bunkered up behind the cloud wall with shifting stones and gobbers around her. 
He passed turn and I go to 1cp. 


         
         Turn 3 - Una

Under his feat worried I won't be able to get much done so I try and focus on the central zone. 
Tuna activates first. This is feat turn for me to allow my griffons to roam about freely. She puts hand of fate and primal on 1 Griffon, and mirage on another Griffon.  I love her up to be able to control the right zone in case my griffons have to vacate.
The miraged Griffon glides over behind the stalker and kaya's Griffon engaging both. I use my initials trying to hit the stalker. I didn't want to boost and have extra fury on the table. 
The griffon with primal and hof moves in and kills both the stalker and the Griffon. He is then able to sprint to the left of the zone and engage the Argus. Gorax puts primal on a third Griffon who charges and kills the Argus.  The last Griffon just durdles about. 
Death wolves press forward, Skoll charges his gorax and does decent damage then camps his corpses just to be a nuisance. Tala and Caleb run to engage the gobbers and Kaya. Blood trackers spread out and try and do a few damage to his objective. 
I pass turn back to him and the score is now 3-0 Una.



            Turn 3 - Kaya

Kaya spends most of her stack killing Caleb and Gala. Stones port her left into the rectangle zone and away from my griffons. Gorax primals him self and fails to kill a Griffon. He lives the dream with his blackclad wayfarer and charges one bloodtrackers killing her and spraying down another. Stalker and Griffon clear out the rest of his zone and take down the brown primaled Griffon.  His other wayfarer and druid wilder run to the far end of my zone to contest. He passes turn and scores 1. His time is dangerously low.  

Score 3-1 Una advantage







           Turn 4 - Una

At this point my opponent is so low on clock and I have more than 10 min left i decide to just play safe and continue to score points and let him run his clock down. The primaled griffon still alive frenzies into the stalker and misses. 
Una puts HoF on the nightwitch and and shoots down the wilder. The nightwitch walks over and kills the blackclad. 
Griffon kills off Gorax and shaman charges the gobbers and misses his attack. I port my gallows grove into his zone to contest. Everything else sorta durdles about getting in the way of chage lanes and blocking trample lanes and so forth. His stalker is contesting my zone but i didnt have a good way to create landing zones for my griffons to finish him off. I pass turn and only get one point. Score is now 4-1 advantage Una. If there was more time on the clock at this point I would of ran some of my solos into position to start contesting his zone every turn. 

        Turn 4 - Kaya

I stopped taking pictures at this point.

He kills my gallows grove and passes turn back with less than 15 secs to gain another cp. Score goes to 5-2 advantage Una.

        Turn 5 - Una

Turn I wait my 15 secs and just pass back the turn. Score is now 6-3.

        Turn 5 - Kaya

Clocks himself and game is over.

                            Una for the win



I feel like this game could have gone either way with one or two bad rolls. If i had missed a few more attacks on the alpha the griffons dodge out of threat or into melee and make it impossible to hit. The terrain made a huge difference and made the game very interesting. Going first is always a big deal with either list and I am glad he decided to pick sides. I think the game is quite different when i have to push him out of the zone instead of just clearing it like i did.


On to round 3. There are now 4 players that are 2-0 . My next opponent has already been decided as i write this. Trolls again. He is bringing Doomy 3 paired with Grissel 2. I believe the scenario is Breakdown. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game 25 - Bradigus vs. Thagrosh 1 (SR)

Game 23 - Bradigus vs. Old Witch 2

Game 19 - The Wanderer vs. Wurmwood