Game 16 - Una 2 vs. Calandra

My LGS started a month long steamroller event this past week. Same rules as a standard steam roller just spread out to one game per week. This is the second time we have tried this style of play and had decent success. More players join and start the event, but more people drop as well. so pros and cons to either format.

For this tournament I decided to run Una 2 (Devours Host) and Krueger 1(Secret Masters).  This format tends to have more of a casual feel to it so I wanted to explore alternate pairings. 

My Lists:

Una 2 
- Gorax
- Scarsfell x 5
Nightwitch x2
Gallows Grove
Tharn Shaman
Tharn Ravagers with Cheiftain
Tharn Bloodtrackers
Lanyssa
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew
Death Wolves

Krueger 1 
-Feral
-Pureblood
-Woldwyrd
-Woldwyrd
Celestial Fulcrum
Wronge Eye
-Snapjaw
Druids with Overseer
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew 

Una is pretty much my go to into everything. She has her bad match ups but I feel like I can drop her into most things in my meta. This is my first adjustment to the list with the addition of the merc/minions to the dev host theme. I do always feel like I could use one more griffon with her, but then I miss out on more utility.

The Kruger list is something I've only played once before (see previous bat rep), but i am interested to see what I can do with it. Biggest downside is the lack of solos in the list which can prove difficult on some scenarios. 



Round 1 I was paired against a new troll player. He was bringing Calandra - Band of Heroes and Doomy 3 in Power of Dhunia.
The Scenario was Standoff. 
I dropped Una and he dropped Calandra. I went with Una because I had grevious wounds and the gallows grove to help combat tough or doomy 3's feet. After my last game with Krueger 1 into Doomy 3 I knew that was going to be bad choice as well. 

His list was:
Calandra - Band of Heroes
-Earthborn
-Bomber
Fell Call Hero
Saxon
Krielstone with scribe
Min Champs x2
Min warders x2
Max fennblades with officer


He won the Roll and decided to go first. I Choose the side with the house blocking the right circle and the central wall for Una to stand behind. 

He deployed with Calandra and her battle group favoring the right side. Fennblades in the middle and then split the champs and warders up evenly on both flanks. 

There was a large forest in the dead center of the table, so I deployed with my ravagers directly behind it and then everything else spread around them. Blood trackers went across from the fennblades but favoring the left circle zone. 

With his battle group to one side, my plan going in was to try and focus down the opposite side and control the zones while threatening assassination with my griffons.



 Trolls Turn 1


Everything runs, duh!. He mini feats with the fennblades to get them up the table and try and push board presence. everything else pretty much runs straight forward with Calandra filling the stone and putting up Starcrossed. 


Circle Turn 1


With a quick measure, I see that the fennblades are actually in range of the bloodtrackers. He said he forgot the trackers had ranged spears. So the ravagers run up the middle behind the forest, with a couple out far to bait vengence. Una activates and Hand of fate goes on the blood trackers and mirage on the ravagers. Too excited to murder fennblades I forget to move Una.. *faceslap*
Bloodtrackers then move up and kill all but 3 fenns. 
Deathwolves loaded with corpses move up behind the trackers. griffons fill in the holes and in position to threat multiple zones. everything else moves up behind the ravagers and trackers or hides behind the house.




Trolls Turn 2


The fenns vengence into charge position. Fuy is reeved and the fenns charge into the trackers killing a couple. One champ is able to reach and kills another tracker. the rest move into the zone. On the far right his earthborn moves up behind the house and the warders and champs over there move into secure the zone. Calandra and the stone move up the center into his rectangular zone. The bomber takes the bait and he kills one of the ravagers. A second one toughs tho. 


Circle Turn 2


Ravagers vengence forward and kill a fennblade. Upkeep HOF and mirage and the ravagers move farther up the center of the table. Blood trackers go in and attempt to put some damage on the ravagers and champs. After a couple shield guards and sanguine bond the champs are all left on 2 boxes and all the warders are alive. Una then moves swaps HOF on to the Ravagers and primals a griffon. She feats this turn and camps 1. The ravagers mini feat and charge into the Kreilstone and Calandra, but he rolls a number of tough rolls and I am only able to kill off a few of the stone grunts and Saxon. But now Calandra is face to face with the sharp end of a few axes. 2 griffons go into the earthborn and manage to leave it alive with few boxes. I underestimated the affect of starcrossed. I missed the hunters mark on the Bomber and the other griffons do not have enough threat range. 
Then between death wolves, griffons and the nightwitch, I am able to clear the left circular zone. I charge my far night witch into the right group of champs/warders and move my tree to contest the right zone as well(hiding behind the house).

Passing Turn i go to 2 and realize i only have 12 min or so left on my clock. Killing trolls sure eats up alot of time!



           Score 2-0 Circle


Trolls Turn 3


He attempts to clear the right zone to score but is unable to get to the tree. The champs and warders kill off the night witch and one griffon but then bad dice hit and it takes both heavies to kill the two griffons.
He kills off some ravagers with the stone and Calandra, but is also unable to clear the zone or contest mine. Passing turn puts me at 4. 

       Score 4-0 Circle


Circle Turn 3


Vengence, Hand of Fated Ravagers kill his objective and I go to 5. Ending the turn takes me to 7? or does the game stop at 5? we were not sure but thought the turn would end and add all remaining scenario points.


Circle Win!!



Post Thoughts:
   The clock was going to be an issue in this matchup. Passing the clock to my opponent during tough rolls would help in the future. In a higher stakes game I would take that approach but didn't feel it was necessary in this one. 
Starcrossed and HOF also added to the time because of all the extra dice. Something to watch out for. I think if my opponent had not given me his entire unit of fennblades they would have been able to screen the champs coming in and I wouldn't have been able to push scenario so hard. 

I am really loving this theme and all of my games with it have been won via scenario.  I did spend alot more time on turn 2 than I find comfortable but it did give me the win.





Comments

  1. I really like your battle reports. Well written, interesting and entertaining.
    Keep the good work up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game 25 - Bradigus vs. Thagrosh 1 (SR)

Game 19 - The Wanderer vs. Wurmwood

Game 23 - Bradigus vs. Old Witch 2